The experience, integrity and qualifications of a consulting engineering company’s personnel are its best assets. WEIR is proud of its personnel who have substantial experience working in and serving the mining and energy industries. WEIR personnel have both technical expertise and operations experience to provide competent, professional service to our clients.
- Dennis N. Kostic President and CEO
- Mr. Kostic is a mining engineer with over 41 years of engineering and operations experience in the mining industry in both surface and underground mining. His experience includes extensive mine layout and design expertise, multiple seam mining, surface and underground mine operational assessments, mine property evaluations, Due Diligence Investigation, and coal market studies throughout Australia, Brazil, Canada, India, Kazakhstan, Poland, South Africa, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela. He has held senior level engineering and operating positions with several major United States coal mining companies. Mr. Kostic received his bachelor’s degree in mining engineering and honorary degree in mining engineering from the University of Missouri - Rolla and is a registered professional engineer in Illinois, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Mr. Kostic is a member of the Kentucky Coal Association, King Coal Club, Old Timers Club, Rocky Mountain Coal Mining Institute, Society of Mining Engineers, and the West Virginia Coal Association.
- John W. Sabo Executive Vice President and Managing Director
- Mr. Sabo has 46 years of operating, engineering and consulting experience in the mining and energy industries. He has specific expertise in evaluation of surface and underground mining operations, reserve estimation and mineability, mining engineering, and operations. His experience includes operational analysis, due diligence evaluations, mine planning and feasibility studies, and valuations of mining properties throughout Canada, Czech Republic, Mexico, South Africa, and the United States. Mr. Sabo studied mining engineering at the Pennsylvania State University and the University of Pittsburgh. Mr. Sabo is a member of the Kentucky Coal Association, the West Virginia Coal Association and the Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration, Inc.
- Thomas E. Blandford, III Senior Vice President
- Mr. Blandford is a mining engineer with more than 31 years of experience in engineering and operations management. His experience includes engineering management at both surface and underground coal mining operations throughout Australia, Canada, Colombia, South Africa and the United States, as well as mine planning and design, feasibility studies, Due Diligence Investigation, operational analysis, and contract mining. Mr. Blandford received his bachelor’s degree in mining engineering from the Pennsylvania State University and is a registered professional engineer in Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia. Mr. Blandford is a member of the Kentucky Coal Association, National Coal Association, National Council of Engineering Examiners, and Society of Mining Engineers.
- Rick W. Thomas Vice President
- Mr. Thomas is a mining engineer with more than 32 years of experience in engineering, operations management, and mergers and acquisitions relating to both the coal and industrial minerals industries. His experience includes engineering, operations management and sales at both surface and underground coal mining operations throughout the United States, and at industrial minerals operations. He has significant experience in surface and underground mine planning, due diligence, valuations and evaluations, coal sales contracts, and contract mining, including contractor selection and contract mining agreements. Mr. Thomas received his bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in mining engineering from the University of Kentucky, his master’s degree in business administration from Duke University, and is a registered professional engineer in Kentucky. Mr. Thomas is a member of the National Coal Transportation Association and Coal Traders Association.
- Theresa M. Heneghan Secretary and Treasurer
- Ms. Heneghan has 30 years of experience in project administration. She is responsible for corporate, accounting, insurance and personnel resources, in addition to management of WEIR’s administrative staff. Ms. Heneghan also coordinates project work with mining consulting companies, located in the United States and internationally, with whom WEIR maintains business relationships.